Today I am going to share some interesting fun facts and yummy recipes for an interesting SuperFood- Eggplant, aubergine or brinjal or Baigan. It is a vegetable which is extremely low in calories but an excellent source of fibre. It has been shown to help with digestion, cholesterol control, and has a high amount of antioxidants. Keep reading to know the health benefits of Eggplant and why it made it to my list of #SuperFoodForHealthyYou! Also, don’t miss the mouth-watering recipe at the end.
Brinjal is one such vegetable which is not only popular in almost all Indian cuisines but across the world. The health benefits of Eggplants are many and it can be cooked into some tasty, scrumptious yet easy recipes.
Health Benefits of Eggplant/Brinjal
- It has the ability to help build strong bones,
- manage diabetes,
- reduce stress,
- reduce the symptoms of anaemia,
- maintain cardiovascular health,
- protect the digestive system,
- good for weight loss,
- protecting infants from birth defects, and even
- preventing a certain type of cancer.
Eggplant/Brinjal is good for weight loss:
As I said, Eggplant has a lot of health benefits incluidng – a very low-calorie count but has loads of fibres. Also Saponin present in them also helps in preventing the fat accumulation in our body. This makes it a perfect vegetable for those who are trying to lose weight.
How to include eggplant/Brinjal in your diet:
– Stir fry brinjal can be used in salad or appetizers
– Eggplants/Brinjal can also be used as a yummy pickle
– It can be blended into creamy curries or chutneys (Check Beetroot Chutney recipe here)
– It is also used in various recipes, along with a variety of regional spices.
Some Eggplant recipes worth trying
- Heat oil in a kadhai or deep pan, add finely chopped Eggplant or Brinjal along with seasonal vegetables like potatoes, beans and carrots.
- Add salt, mix well and cover.
- Cook on a medium flame till all the veggies are soft.
- Switch off the flame. Transfer the mixture to a plate and allow it to cool down.
- Then slightly mash it with the help of a potato masher.
- Add all the spices- garam masala, dry mango powder, coriander, mint leaves, some salt.
- Mix and make round balls of the mixture.
- Roll the cutlets with some breadcrumbs and shallow cook on a non-stick tava till golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favourite ketchup or dips.
Recipe Courtesy- taraladala.com
Roasted Brinjal/Eggplant Soup
Quick Recipe. A comforting bowl of soup is everyone’s favourite. Boil seasonal veggies with some tomatoes. Roast brinjal and mash the pulp, add it to the vegetable mixture and cook for some time. Garnish with some fresh cream and coriander. It is something you must try if you love brinjals.
This is my entry for letter ‘E’ in this one-month blogging challenge by Blogchatter #a2zChallenge. Stay tuned while I share some interesting and fun #SuperFoodforHealthyYou each day this month.
Thank you for reading! Please share in your comments if you like this post, recipes or have any interesting facts to share about Eggplants/Brinjal, I am all ears.
You may like to read all my post in this series here-