The #SuperfoodForHealthyYou today with Letter A is Amaranth. Most of us might know it as Rajgiri as it is considered as a staple flour during fasting seasons in most parts of India. But I assure you after reading the post, it would be much more to you. I will talk about the health benefits of Amaranth or Rajgiri grain along with some ways to adapt it in your daily life. With no extra item on your menu, you can indulge in the goodness and enjoy the health benefits of Amaranth.
One of the important health benefits of Amaranth or Rajgiri grain is that it includes an ability to spur growth and development. And it is worth noting that it is totally gluten-free. This composition makes Amaranth a superfood and outperforms any other traditional cereals. It also contains Lysine, which is an essential amino acid and is usually missing from our other cereals
Amaranth or Rajgiri is one of the rare grain which can do it all. It can protect our heart, help boost the immune system along with strengthening bones, increase blood circulation, improves digestion and keeps the hair looking good as well.
Health Benefits of the Amazing Amaranth seeds
- Amaranth grains are found to be high in amino acid. Which create usable proteins in the body thereby optimizing our metabolism
- It also lowers the cholesterol level and hence helps in preventing Heart Attacks
- The high level of dietary fibre present in them helps Improves Digestion
- It has twice the calcium content of milk and along with maintaining your bone health it also prevents Osteoporosis if consumed regularly
- It is a unique grain which has Vitamin C as well, which boosts the immune system
How to include Amaranth in your diet daily?
Now coming to the important part of the post, How to eat it ourselves or get kids eat it.
Amaranth seeds can be cooked or roasted like any other germ vegetables. Its flour can be mixed with regular wheat flour or use it as is all alone. It is easily available in almost all departmental stores. For Health-conscious ones, mixing Amaranth flour in your daily diet is easy with 1:2 proportion of chapati flour. It’s perfect for making rotis, parathas or any other kind of food.
Make some kid-friendly Amaranth food
- While making recipes for Kids, load up the calories by adding dry fruit powder. Add some choco-chips in the batter while making yummy cookies
- you can also make some yummy cakes or brownies.
- Make pancakes and drizzle some Honey or chocolate syrups and you are done with healthy and yummy breakfast.
- Use a cookie cutter to make different shapes of rotis or puris with Amaranth Flour. You can add some spices or vegetable purees to the dough to add more to the taste and health.
- Add loads of dry fruits, desi Ghee (Clarified Butter) and make yummy ladoos. For my son, I like to keep them soft (with a little extra ghee), this makes it easier for him to eat (and also help me with less crumbs going all over the place).
- We also love making Amaranth porridge
Do not miss to try Amaranth patties
- Saute half diced onion, 3 minced cloves of garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes
- Add 2 tablespoons of curry powder and cook for another minute.
- Then add this mixture to a bowl with 1 cup of boiled amaranth
- In another bowl, mix 2 cups bread crumbs, 1 cup parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- Form the amaranth mixture into small balls and coat with bread crumbs
- Lay these balls onto a baking tray and bake
- or gently fry the patties on each side till golden brown.
Recipe Courtesy: oola.com
Well,Weight Loss with Amaranth is easy too.
If you are among the ones looking for weight loss, I highly recommend including Amaranth grain or flour in your daily diet, It can effectively lower insulin levels in our body and simultaneously release a hormone indicating our body that we are full.
For health-conscious people switching to amaranth grain/flour might be the best bet!
This is my entry for letter ‘A’ Blogchatter #a2zChallenge. Stay tuned while I share some interesting #SuperFoodforHealthyYou each day in this month. Do visit here tomorrow for next Superfood with letter ‘B’.
Thank you for reading! Do share in your comments if you like the post, recipes or have any interesting fact to share about the Super healthy Amaranth.