Pumpkin seeds are edible seeds which are flat, oval-shaped and green in colour. They are removed from the flesh of a pumpkin, rinsed and enjoyed. They are consumed either roasted or plain, with other spices as flavours to create a delicious, crunchy snack. Pumpkin seeds are known to be a good source of healthy oils, magnesium and many other nutrients. This helps to enhance the health of the heart, bones and other functions. Though the pumpkin seeds are typically roasted before adding in various meals. But they taste good raw as well and Pumpkin seeds are often eaten as a healthy snack.
Switch to pumpkin seed for some healthy snacking
What is the Best Way to Consume and store Pumpkin Seeds?
- In order to preserve their healthy fats, pumpkin seeds should ideally be eaten raw.
- However, most nuts and seeds have anti-nutrients that can make all the nutrients less bioavailable when you consume them. So if you plan to consume nuts and seeds on a regular basis, it would be better if you soak or sprout them.
- To make them more delicious, you can dehydrate them in the sun or in the oven. This makes them last longer. I normally show them the sun and store in an airtight container.
- If you fancy eating the seeds roasted, roast them without any oil or Ghee in a skillet till they are crunchy.
Pumpkin seed as a healthy snack
1. Dry Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds can be roasted in multiple ways and enhance the spread in your snacking list. Try roasting with
- Butter, some salt and pepper
- Red chilli powder and few drops of lime juice
2. Roasted Almond and Pumpkin Seed Butter.
If you are a fan of nutty butter, do give this pumpkin butter a try. I personally enjoy roasted almond butter, but when I saw this recipe of Almond and Pumpkin butter on Natural Noshing, I could not help but try myself.
Do you agree that Pumpkin seed is one such healthy snack, we should add in your diet?