Oats are one of the healthiest grains available on earth. They are gluten-free and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. Even it is said that oats and oatmeal have multiple health benefits including weight loss. But that’s not the only reason, I moved to Overnight Oatmeal for breakfast. Being a mom to a hyperactive toddler, there are times when picking something healthy and tummy filling looks difficult. And overnight oats or oatmeal is such an easy breakfast to headstart a powerful morning.
We all know that Oats and oatmeals are indeed healthy and help lower blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. But along with that one important thing is that they are super easy to cook and gives to variety. I can basically eat Oatmeal from Monday to Friday and still enjoy variety with different toppings. Want to know more, keep reading.
What is Basic oatmeal?
Oatmeal in its basic form is simply oats and water/milk. While this looks healthy, but it is very bland. Luckily, we may add flavours to this basic oatmeal and make it more tasty and enjoyable.
- Adding Spices. Cinnamon is a sweet spice, it brings out an earthy flavour in oats and makes it interesting.
- Some Sweeteners. For added sweetness, we may use honey, brown sugar or any other syrups you may like.
- Milk. Some people cut back on a serving of oats with milk. It just makes it richer in flavour and creamier in texture.
- Optional toppings. Along with being healthy, oats has this property of tasting best with a variety of fruits, berries and nuts.
What are overnight oats/oatmeal?
Overnight oatmeals are basically a no-cook method of making easy oatmeal. Here, we do not need to cook oatmeal in a microwave or over the Stove. Here we just need to soak them overnight in milk. The overnight soaking helps oats to absorb the milk and soften enough to enjoy uncooked. That’s how it got its name.. Overnight oats!
We just need to soak raw oats with our favourite proportion of milk or milk and water for a few hours or overnight. Next morning our Ready-to-eat creamy (porridge-like consistency) jar of oatmeal is ready. We just need to add some sweetness and top it with favourite spices or fruits. It can be warmed too, but I normally keep it out of the fridge for some time and enjoy it at room temperature. It is one of the simplest ways to enjoy a healthy and easy peasy breakfast.
Some ideas to make oatmeal breakfast
Make a batch enough for 2-3 days and try to innovate with your oatmeal topping. There could be endless ways of enjoying your overnight oatmeal. You can easily add some seasonal fruits, this will add sweetness and some more fibre. You may also add some healthy seeds like chia, sabza, flax seeds or simply some finely chopped nuts.
Here are more ideas for oatmeal toppings
- Fresh Seasonal Fruits. – Fruit like apples, bananas, strawberries, mango, dates or coconut tastes amazing with oats.
- Nuts and Seeds. Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. You can even add Nutella or peanut butter.
- Cooked Grains: Add your favourite grains like -Quinoa, Ragi, Sama, Millet, amaranth or wheat germ. You just need to cook them separately or along with the oatmeal.
- Health Spices, Cardamom, Cinnamon, nutmeg- all these add a unique taste too.
- Milk. – Add any type of milk – Almond milk, Coconut milk, soy milk or some yoghurt
- Sweeteners: Honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup. They add that needed sweetness and taste to your overnight meal breakfast.
This is my entry for the letter, ‘O’ Blogchatter #a2zChallenge. Stay tuned while I share some interesting #SuperFoodforHealthyYou each day in this month. Do visit here tomorrow for next Superfood with the letter ‘P’.
Thank you for reading! Do share in your comments if you like the post or have an interesting fact, memories or recipes to share about this adding easy Overnight Oatmeal in your breakfast.