The #SuperFoodforHealthyYou in my month-long A2Zchallenge is- hard from outside but soft from inside- The Coolest fruit Coconut. There is nothing cooler, extraordinary or energising than fresh coconut. It is a superfood which is a lot healthier than it’s given a credit for.
Coconut is a highly nutritious fruit, which is rich in fibre and packed with all essential minerals and vitamins. Also, it is available in various forms which can be easily adapted in any cuisine.
Available variety of Coconuts
From fresh coconut water to matured coconut with flesh, to coconut milk or coconut oil, we have a variety when it comes to consuming coconut.
- Coconut water. A fresh glass of coconut water has all the necessary electrolytes and minerals in their most natural form. It also has the same PH level as blood plasma. Having a glass of coconut water after an intense workout is one of the easiest and best things we can do for our body. As against the other sports drinks, it is low in calories, carbs and sugars.
- Coconut soft meat. The flesh inside the coconut contains a source of healthy fats, proteins and various vitamins and minerals.
- Coconut oil. Although coconut oil is known to be saturated fat, it is unlike the high calorie-cholesterol-soaked long-chain saturated fats. It is rich in a medium-chain fatty acid which helps in boosting metabolism and aid in fat loss. Also, it gets metabolized quickly and instead of sticking to your belly it gets burned off- like energy. Coconut oil is also known to have natural healing properties and works wonders on skin and hair.
- Coconut Milk. It comes from the flesh of a mature brown coconut. The solid flesh is mixed with water to make coconut milk, which is usually about 50% water. It is also used in many traditional cuisines around the world for its fresh creamy texture and health benefits.
In addition, it can be used for baking, and for making delicious raw, vegan desserts.
Some interesting ways to add Coconut in our diet
Summers are here and what could be better than a popsicle. This goes out to all of us looking for a quick dessert on a hot day without added sugars. This recipe is as easy as 123 and takes only minutes to make. It is just a 3-ingredient fruity ice-popsicle.
- 1 cup chopped/pureed fresh seasonal fruits- like mango, papaya, pineapple, or kiwi
- 3/4 cup Coconut water
- 2 tablespoons honey
Quick Recipe: Chop your favourite fruits, fill them in popsicle moulds with coconut water, add honey and pop them in the freezer overnight.
Some Raw coconut cupcakes
Cupcakes are light, moist miniatures that make a perfect midday snack for ones with a sweet tooth. These coconut cupcakes are dairy-free and naturally sweetened by fruits. They get their richness from the coconut cream which is loaded as their icing.
Ingredients for Cupcake Base:
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3 slices of dried mango, finely chopped
- few dates for sweetness
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup shredded raw coconut
- 2 tbsp Coconut Water
Ingredients for Icing:
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Few blueberries and strawberries
- blend almonds, mango and salt to the powder
- Add shredded coconut, dates, and coconut water.
- Blend again to combine. The batter should be soft, moist, and sticky with plenty of coconut texture retained.
- Scoop out the batter into a paper cup lines cupcake tin,
- press firmly to make the cupcake base. Add only about ⅓ cup batter per cup.
- For icing take the coconut cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until creamy. Add maple syrup.
- Ice the cupcakes and top it with fresh fruits
- Keep it in the fridge for at least 1 hour for the icing to set completely.
- And its done…Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy: SweetPotatoSoul
Thank you for reading! Do share in your comments if you like the post, recipes or have an interesting fact to share about this Coolest and yummy Coconut fruit.