If the famous Western Ghats of India is on your travel bucket list this monsoon. Then I have a few suggestions for you, some breathtaking places to visit in Maharashtra during monsoon. These places include their antique castles, relaxing greenery, and some unexplored trails. They make for a wonderful weekend getaway from various cities in and around Maharashtra. Some of the places have good connectivity by road and people enjoy a good Road trip.
Some of the Popular Places To Visit In Maharashtra during Monsoons
Maharashtra has a reasonably long list of tourist spots, where one can go to experience a blissful spell of rain. And enjoy the weather dancing in the soothing showers to relive your childhood!
Malshej is a famous attraction around Mumbai which makes it to the top places to visit during monsoon. It is primarily known for its picturesque trails and its mulberries orchards that flourish during monsoon. Malshej Ghats is also a place for adventure seekers.
- Ajoba Hill Fort, Darkoba Peak, Jivdhan Chawand Fort, and Nane Ghat are some of the popular trails that give travellers a lot to explore around.
- Harishchandragad Fort Trek is 40 km from Malshej and has a 6th-century fort makes an exciting spectacle for travellers.
- Shivneri Fort, the birthplace of Chhatrapati Shivaji, is also a must-visit place around.
Connectivity of Malshej Ghat
- Distance & time taken-
- Mumbai to Malshej Ghat: 127 km ; around 3.5 hrs
- Pune to Malshej Ghat: 120 km ; around 3hrs
- Connectivity of Malshej Ghat from other parts of Maharashtra: Connected with other popular cities in Maharashtra, you can also plan to travel to Malshej Ghat by rail.
- Kalyan Railway Station in Mumbai is almost 85 km from Malshej.
Matheran is a place which is synonymous with some amazing viewpoints. And monsoon only adds to the glamour quotient of the place. This place is one of the prime attractions of Raigad district in Maharashtra. Matheran is also promoted as the smallest hill station which presents exceptional photography options. Echo Point, Monkey Point, Louisa Point, Panorama Point, Porcupine Point and Prabal Fort. All these points exhibit the true colours of nature during monsoon.
Connectivity of Matheran
- Distance & time taken-
- Mumbai to Matheran: 80 km ; around 2 hrs
- Pune to Matheran: 125 km ; around 2.5 hrs
- Neral Junction is the closest to reach Matheran by train.
- From the junction, there is a toy train that runs up to Matheran, which covers almost 21 km in around 2 hours.
The ghat region of the Sahyadri Hills displays one of the prettiest shade possible of green with the onset of monsoon. The famous Bhimashankar is certainly a bewitching sight and worth exploring with friends and family over an extended weekend. The stunning escapades in the midst of vast valleys are surely the breathtaking place to visit during monsoon. So, if you are in or around Pune during monsoon, do make sure that you don’t miss this place.
Connectivity of Bhimashankar
- Distance & time taken – Mumbai to Bhimashankar: 220 km; around 5h
- Distance & time taken – Pune to Bhimashankar: 110 km ; around 3h
- Connectivity of Bhimashankar from other parts of Maharashtra: Bhimashankar can be easily reached by rail or road from places across Maharashtra.
- The nearest railway station is ‘Shivaji Nagar’ in Pune is at a distance of 127 km.
Another ideal weekend getaway from Mumbai or Pune is Bhandardara. This hill station in the Western Ghats, is beautifully decked with waterfalls, lakes, and some sprawling greenery. It is also a weel-known pit-stop if you are headed to Shirdi.
With the onset of rains, the beauty of this place is at it’s glorious best making Bhandardara popular places to visit in Maharashtra during monsoon. It is a perfect place if you enjoy staying in camps.
Connectivity of Bhandardara
- Distance & time taken -Mumbai to Bhandardara: 164 km ; around 3.5h
- Distance & time taken -Pune to Bhandardara: 172 km ; around 4.5h
- Connectivity of Bhandardara from other parts of Maharashtra: Nashik is the nearest railhead at a distance of 70 km from Bhandardara.
Alibag has lots of refreshing architecture, some of the pristine beaches. It is also counted among the top places to visit in Maharashtra during monsoon. Also, monsoons are most awaited in this region as the beaches in Alibaug undergo a complete makeover during this time They look like they are straight out of a picture-postcard. The Turquoise waters, the lush greenery make it an even more exciting place here during monsoon.
- The must-visit places in Alibag are- Undheri Fort, Kulaba Fort, and Murud-Janjira Fort. All these are forts are well known for their intricate architecture;
- The beaches there are known for their mesmerizing sunset views. Alibaug Beach, Nagaon Beach, and Varsoli Beach attracts a large number of tourists every year.
Connectivity of Alibag
- Distance & time taken – Mumbai to Alibag: 98 km; around 3 hrs
- Distance & time taken – Pune to Alibag: 141 km; around 3hrs
- Connectivity from other parts of Maharashtra: Pen Railway Station is the nearest railway station and is located 30 km far from Alibag. There is direct train also available from Mumbai Central to Alibag.
Do let me know if you have been to any of the places and would love to know your favourites around the region.
Also Read : Travelling made easy with infants with tips to travel light.