Mixed Grain Khichdi| Millet Quinoa Dal Khichdi | Barnyard Quinoa Dal Khichdi |Healthy Nutritious Khichdi for kids
For me, a Millet khichdi is one such comforting one pot meal that I would love to make any time, or some lazy days when I don’t feel like cooking. Whether it is a simple Dal Khichdi, an easy peasy Masala Oats khichdi or a fasting special samvat khichdi, we just love them all. While I tried all basic khichdi’s for Tuggu, the one which got his taste bud right was Millet Quinoa Dal Khichdi.
Millets are highly nutritious for kids and a khichdi is a great meal having the goodness of grains and vegetables. Moreover, it is super easy for digestion for young kids. Do read more on Millets in my latest post here.
Millet Quinoa Dal Khichdi recipe for kids:
I have used Barnyard millet or little millet is popularly known as samwat millet or fasting Rice ( you can use any other millet like Foxtail millet) along with carrots, onion, beans, peas, tomatoes and coriander leaves, you may use your favourites or any seasonal vegetables of your choice.
¼ cup Millet
¼ cup Quinoa
½ Cup Dal
2.5 cup water
½ cup finely chopped mixed vegetables
1 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter
½ tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp Cumin/Zeera
½ tsp Asafoetida/Hing
½ tsp turmeric powder/Haldi
¼ tsp – ½ tsp Mirch Powder
Salt as per taste
- Wash Dal, Quinoa and Millet in running water for a couple of times. Don’t forget to Soak them for 1 hour before cooking.
- Heat a pressure cooker, Add some Ghee
- Then add Cumin and let it splutter and add asafoetida
- Add in all finely chopped vegetable and sauté for a minute
- Drain water from the soaked dal and add the drained Dal, Quinoa and Millet in a colander and add to the sautéed vegetables and give them a nice stir.
- Time to add water, mirch powder, Turmeric powder and salt
- Pressure cook on a medium flame for 2-3 whistle. I prefer 3 whistles as it makes it perfect mushy, just how my son like it
- Top it up with some ghee before serving.
You may serve it with curd, papad and or pickle whatever suits your taste.
To make it look stylish, serve it with toasted bread as sides.
I really hope you would like these recipes and I will be sharing many more recipes soon.
Read some easy healthy Millet recipes here.
Hope you like these. Do try and let me know in comments below