Fox nuts are lotus flower’s seed that grows in water. These are largely found in India and is commonly known as ‘Makhanas or Phool-Makhana’. Health benefits of Fox nuts are many and hence it is enjoyed throughout the country. These nuts are enjoyed raw, roasted as well as used in Indian dishes like kheer, raita or curries. But they are loved as they make for a great tea time snack or a healthy snack during fasting seasons.
I clearly remember my mother roasting Fox nut or makhanas in ghee and sprinkling some salt and black pepper. This was our usual evening snack or whenever the hunger pangs would kick in during the day. Roasted Fox nut/ makhanas always made a tasty snack- they are just perfect- light, crunchy and super healthy.
I am sure if you have tasted them you would agree. And in case you haven’t tried this yummy nut. Keep reading to know What makes Foxnut a healthy Snack for weight loss?
Health Benefits of Fox nuts/Makhanas
- It has high antioxidant and helps fight stress, chronic inflammation and ageing process.
- Due to its lower sodium and higher magnesium and potassium content, Fox-nuts help in controlling high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Fox nuts also have high calcium content which is good for bone and teeth health.
- The astringent properties in fox nuts/makhanas help reduce kidney problems.
- For its high calcium and iron content, it helps prevent hypertension and diabetes in pregnant women.
- This very healthy snack is rich in fibre, which helps in weight loss as well. Also, its astringents properties help in the kidney ailments, diarrhoea, and improve appetite.
- These nuts have a good amount of protein and it makes foxnut a healthy snack for vegetarians.
Recipe for Healthy and Easy snack Fox Nuts/Makhana
The powerhouse of protein, carbs and healthy fat- fox nuts or makhanas are the new superfood. You can eat them roasted or raw. Or try these easy yet interesting recipes which are ready in no time!
1. Spicy Munchies Makhana
It is one of the simplest and fastest recipes. Heat a teaspoon of oil or desi ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add Turmeric powder, Red pepper powder, Salt, Chaat Masala and a pinch of Black pepper. Now add the nuts and roast on a medium flame for about 10 minutes. Turn off the flame and cool the nuts. Put them in an airtight container and munch on whenever you want.
2. Makhana Cutlets
Surprised? Well, makhana is full of surprises and provide us with possibilities for experimentation.
- Roast about 1 cup of fox nuts with a teaspoon of Ghee. Coarsely blend them and keep aside
- Take 3-4 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed. Add finely chopped coriander leaves, green chilli, roasted and crushed peanuts
- Add Makhanas along with your choice of spices. Some Garam Masala Powder, Chaat Masala and salt to taste.
- Mix them well and make round or oval patties.
- Sauté them lightly in a non-stick pan until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup or green pudina chutney.
Thank you for reading!
This is my entry for letter ‘F’ in this one-month blogging challenge by Blogchatter #a2zChallenge. Stay tuned while I share some interesting and fun #SuperFoodforHealthyYou each day this month.
Please share in your comments if you like this post, recipes or have any interesting facts to share about Fox-nuts/Makhanas/Phool Makhana… I am all ears.
You may like to read all my post in this series here-